A lot of companies are going green these days including mattress companies. People who are health conscious, have chemical sensitivities, or are environmentally wise purchase natural mattresses for their homes. At My Green Mattress we have a selection of mattresses that use all natural materials including organic cotton, wool, and natural latex.
One question our customers ask is, “Do wool mattresses smell?”
Many natural materials, like wool, have their own natural odor that is nontoxic. Some people are more sensitive to this smell than others. Wool is hygroscopic, which means it easily absorbs moisture, causing the natural odors to be more noticeable in humid climates. It is possible that exposing wool to humidity during the manufacturing process can increase the natural odor of the wool. At My Green Mattress, we place our wool out in the sun to help dissipate the natural odors before quilting it into your new mattress. If any natural smell persists, rest assured that it will dissipate naturally with time.
However, it is possible to expedite the dissipation of the wool odor in your new mattress. Just follow the steps below:
HOW TO GET THE SMELL OUT OF YOU WOOL MATTRESS
• Put your mattress out in the sun for 3 to 4 hours – the sun is a great deodorizer. If your mattress is upholstered on two sides, make sure both sides get exposed to the sun for 3 to 4 hours.
• Air out your mattress. Remove any bedding from your mattress, open the windows, and let the fresh air in.
BENEFITS OF WOOL
• Wool is hypo-allergenic, which makes it a good choice for people who have allergies to feather, down, or synthetic bedding products.
• Wool adds extra padding for improved softness and comfort.
• Wool keeps you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter
• Wool is flame resistant, allowing our mattresses to meet flame laws without the use of chemical flame retardants
• Wool is durable and long lasting for many nights of comfortable sleep